Sunday, January 1, 2012

Diaries of a Girl Gone Dark and Bitter (I'm talking chocolate of course!)

January 1, 2012: Day 1 of Reduced Sugar


I thought I’d kick off my month of no sugar by treating myself to some of the world’s finest chocolates (I have not given up all sugar, I can have 70% to 100% chocolate, you can read about my plan here). So today I just casually snacked on bits and pieces of an Amedei Toscano Black (70%), an Amedei Porcelana (70%) and an Amano Madagascar (also a 70%). The blog post on these will be up in the coming days when I have more time to really taste and compare, but next time with Amedei's Chuao bar thrown in. 

The thing about eating a lot of sugar for several weeks (i.e. the weeks leading up to Christmas time, when there tends to be a lot of parties with desserts, truffles, chocolate, candy, etc.) is that you are instantly bored on the very first day that you stop eating sugar.
I have been wandering around the house restlessly trying not to think about tea and cookies all afternoon.  I have snacked on crackers, cheese, almonds, Greek yogurt (it wasn’t “plain” yogurt, but it was a honey-bottom yogurt, so I just did not stir it so that I could avoid the layer of honey at the bottom), rice noodles, green peppers, and the list goes on and on.  I feel like I am on some sort of strange crash diet where I am told that I can eat however much I want, except for the things that I want to eat most of all.
Of course, I am not really on a diet.  I have not decided to stop eating savoury things, like chips, French fries, hamburgers or other kinds of junk food.  But I do not normally eat a lot of that stuff anyway.  When I want something unhealthy to snack on, I usually start with something sweet and it is almost always something chocolaty.  And, I have only decided to drop everything that has added sugar (or sweetener like honey), so that cuts out cookies, cinnamon rolls, honey, muffins, etc.  Again, I do not often consume these things....well, except for the cookies. I like oatmeal chocolate chip or butter cookies that have been dipped in dark chocolate...go figure.  But for some reason, by suddenly deciding that I can’t have something, I want it even more.  And now I can’t stop thinking about cookies.
I have not set any limits to the amount of chocolate that I can eat, just that this week it has to only be 70% or darker chocolate, next week 80% or darker and so on until the end of January. However, I am nursing my baby and feel guilty every time that I eat more than 50 grams of dark chocolate in a day (because of the caffeine). And being unable to eat cookies and being unable to eat any more 70% chocolate today, I started restlessly wandering...which led to the restless (and endless) snacking. 
If only it wasn’t a holiday, and I just had more to do....maybe tomorrow will be easier when I am working again.  Except, of course, I own a chocolate and pastry business and won’t even be able to snack on cake scraps or broken TOFFLEs.  Yikes, this is going to be a long month.

2 comments:

  1. True love doesn't happen right away; it's an ever-growing process. It develops after you've gone through many ups and downs, when you've suffered together, cried together, laughed together. See the link below for more info.


    #gone
    www.matreyastudios.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Robinson buckler on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Robinson buckler today on this Email address:_________________________Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com……………….

    ReplyDelete